Boxing
Wayne McCullough on Pacquiao vs Bradley: I’m Going With Bradley For This One

WBO Welterweight Title

When: 9th June Live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas

What: Manny Pacquiao vs Timothy Bradley

Where: All on Primetime: Sky channel 480, Virgin Media ‘On Demand’ and online at www.primetimelive.co.uk

Pacquiao vs Bradley is rapidly approaching, as we get ready for fight night we sat down with former WBC Bantamweight champion, and Primetime commentator, Wayne ‘Pocket Rocket’ McCullough to discuss the fight. Here’s what he had to say;

“Timothy Bradley is facing the opportunity of a lifetime. By beating Manny Pacquiao he will elevate himself to the elite level currently occupied by Manny and Floyd Mayweather Jr. It’s the biggest fight of his career and he’ll be prepared for that.”

“This might be the perfect time to be facing Pacquiao as well, he hasn’t looked great in his last couple of fights and I feel he was beaten last time out against Marquez.”

“In the trilogy against Marquez, Marquez showed that he has the style and the game plan to beat Pacquiao. I’ve been surprised that more opponents haven’t been able to use that approach against Manny and I’m sure Bradley will have taken that on board.”

“Manny Pacquiao has progressed through the weights in his career and it’s impressive he has been able to carry the speed and power with him. However Bradley has spent his career around Light Welterweight and Welterweight so as the naturally bigger man may have an advantage in those stakes.”

“Speed and timing are crucial to this fight. The speed is crucial for Pacquiao, his speed is what has troubled so many fighters. For Bradley the timing is crucial, can he counter the counter puncher? He needs to use his timing to cut off Pacquiao’s attacks.”

"There have been rumours that Pacquiao is struggling with flu in the run up to this fight. I think that may be a case of getting the excuses in early and trying to destabilise Bradley with mind games. In my opinion no fighter should be making excuses, if you are well enough you fight and if not you don’t. If you fight and lose then you have to take that and not make excuses.”

“With that in mind it will be interesting to see if Pacquiao tries to rush the fight, and if Bradley can time him then that will play into his hands.”

“I met Bradley about 18months ago and he was very respectful towards me. I like him as a person and I like him for this fight, he may just be meeting Pacquiao at the right time. Either way this will be an interesting fight for sure.”

You can order the card for only £14.95 by calling 08712004444*, visiting www.primetimelive.co.uk or Virgin Media customers can purchase using the ‘On Demand’ menu. Customers on Sky must register the first time they use Primetime and once registered can purchase using the ‘box office’ menu.
Primetime Schedule – Watch Some Classic Fights Free On Ch480

WBO Welterweight Title

Where: All on Primetime: Channel 480 on Sky, Virgin Media On Demand and online at www.primetimelive.co.uk

Primetime are pleased to announce an exciting schedule of Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley fights. These exciting fights are available free on ch480 on Sky and at http://primetimelive.co.uk/freeview/! Get right up to date with the story so far with the biggest Pacquiao and Bradley fights.

We have also joined forces with Sports Tonight, a new free sports talk offering, bringing you boxing chat and a chance to get your views heard live each night. In a bumper summer of sport, Sports Tonight will host four boxing preview shows ahead of Primetime’s big fight night on Saturday 9 June featuring the WBO World Welterweight Championship Pacquiao vs. Bradley fight live from Las Vegas.

And then the gloves are off for Sports Tonight’s unique coverage of the Euro 2012 Championships presented by Ian Payne alongside a host of experts including Lawrie Sanchez, Nigel Spackman, Perry Groves and Leroy Rosenior.

All this plus footage from the fight camps, head to head interviews with Pacquiao and Bradley and fight week hype! Don’t miss this jam packed free programming from Saturday 2nd June.

Schedule for the week ahead

Saturday 2nd June 8pm Pacquiao vs Marquez I

Sunday 3rd June 8pm Pacquiao vs Marquez II

Monday 4th June 8pm Pacquiao vs Marquez III

Tuesday 5th June 8pm Bradley vs Casamayor

Wednesday 6th June 5pm Sports Tonight Live: Euro 2012 Live

7pm Big Fight Preview Live from Sports Tonight Live

8pm Pacquiao vs Marquez I

10pm Sports Tonight Live: Euro 2012 Fanzone live

Thursday 7th June 5pm Sports Tonight Live: Euro 2012 Live

8pm Pacquiao vs Marquez II

Friday 8th June 4pm Sports Tonight Live: Euro 2012 Live

8pm Pacquiao vs Marquez I

Saturday 9th June 10am Sports Tonight Live: Euro 2012 Late Breakfast live

7pm Sports Tonight Live: Euro 2012 Live

10pm Big Fight Countdown Live from Sports Tonight Live

11pm 24/7: Pacquiao vs Bradley

2am ***Pacquiao vs Bradley PPV***

You can order Pacquiao vs Bradley for only £14.95 by calling 08712004444*, visiting www.primetimelive.co.uk or using the ‘On Demand’ menu. Customers on Sky must register the first time they use Primetime and once registered can purchase using the ‘box office’ menu.
Benny Ricardo on Pacquiao vs Bradley: “Pacquiao is ripe for an upset!”

WBO Welterweight Title

Where: All on Primetime: channel 480 Sky, Virgin Media ‘On Demand’ and online at www.primetimelive.co.uk

Primetime commentator Benny Ricardo gives us the lowdown on Pacquiao vs Bradley, and gives us his thoughts on the keys to victory;

Manny Pacquiao has won his last 15 fights in a row since losing to Erik Morales back in March of 2005. He has moved up in weight and has broken the orbital bones of his opponents while launching 474 blows during the Antonio Margarito fight. But did he lose to his counterpunching nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez in his last fight? He did on my card, 8-rounds to 4.

Tim Bradley was born in the scorching hot California desert in the Coachella Valley in a city known as Cathedral City. The summers have regular temperatures of 108-(42.6) and the heat is a dry one, very similar to the heat in Las Vegas. The heat makes the men tougher than the skin on a gila monsters that live there too.

Boxing since the age of ten, Bradley learned his craft inside the ropes as an amateur fighting in 140 fights. He became a two-time National Champion and fought for the United States in Germany, Tahiti and Frnace. Andre Berto beat Bradley twice, once in the 2003 National Golden Gloves and then at the United States Amateur Championship. Bradley lost to Vanes Martirosyan at the Olympic Trials in 2004 and turned pro right after that.

With his origins in the desert and as a tribute to the men and women who serve in the armed forces of the United States and are stationed and trained in the desert for their missions, Bradley adopted the name “Desert Storm”. Bradley said “Desert Storm” describes his all out war style he offers his fans and opponents each time he steps into the ring.

ATHLETICISM:

When you talk about athleticism you always talk about speed and footwork. From the waist above its cosmetic, but from the waist below, that’s the franchise. Both of these fighters have franchise legs, lightning like speed, but Pacquiao packs power with his speed, Bradley does not.

So how does Bradley end up with an undefeated record of 28-0 and is a two-time WBC Light Welterweight Champion as well as the current WBO Light Welterweight Champion? The answer is ‘Ring Generalship’.

Bradley is the ultimate example of a Ring General. He has to be as he was born with a feathery touch and only has 12 knockouts, two of them in his first 5 fights. Bradley has to use everything he has in the ring, foot speed to get around effectively, hand speed to even double up on jabs to set up his right hand. Bradley also brings with him tremendous physical conditioning that allows him to use ring generalship to the fullest for the entire fight. He has gone 12-rounds many times and growing up in the hot California desert of the Coachella Valley, he knows the value of sweat and hard work.

Bradley is 28 while Juan Manuel Marquez was 38. I think at this point in their careers, Bradley is a better counter puncher than Marquez, yet look at the way Marquez neutralized Pacquiao’s backhand. Pacquiao’s backhand was never in the fight against Marquez.

Prior to Pacquiao’s last fight with Marquez, I said “Defensive counter punchers like Juan Manuel Marquez have always given Pacquiao problems.” At no time was that more evident than in his last fight with Marquez. Freddy roach was predicting a knockout by Pacquiao of Marquez within 6-rounds and I agreed with him. But Marquez countered every Pacquiao move better than any Anti Virus software counters a computer virus.

Bradley is the consummate defensive counter puncher who loves to fight inside and use his head – literally. Yes, the third punch - physically using his head just like Evander Holyfield used to do. If Bradley is allowed by the referee to fight Pacquiao inside, the head butt is as inevitable as a loser at a Black Jack table in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao has those incredibly chiseled like calves that seem like they can carry the weight of George Foreman on them. His blazing fast footwork is called “the Riverdance” and those chiselled diamond shaped calves power them through it. Those calves are the reason that Pacquiao can carry the extra weight and not lose any speed. He’s got the landing gear of an A-380 on a Gulfstream G500 body.

MOTIVATION:

For Timothy Bradley this is the biggest fight in the biggest stage of his entire life. This is what he sweated rivers of water for in the blazing heat of the California desert. An upset guarantees him a rematch with Pacquiao and more millions to take with him to his desert home.

For Pacquiao it is about redeeming himself from a lackluster performance against Marquez. Leg cramps, rocky relationship with his wife Jinkee, the distraction of his cock fighting business all of them were offered as excuses for his inability to stop Marquez as was predicted by Roach.

The biggest motivation for Pacquiao is to put on a phenomenal show and take out Bradley early. The world will then demand the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight of the century to happen.

TRAINING

While Mike Tyson was watching Manny Pacquiao train he told Freddy Roach to slow him down. Training includes 1,400 plus rounds of sparring, hill runs, enough to cover the height of Mt. Everest. Pacquiao’s endurance, speed and lung capacity are legendary. Alex Ariza his conditioning coach seemed to have some problems with Roach and left the Pacquiao camp to work with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Roach thought Ariza should be fired, but they have since patched things up. At Roach’s request, Pacquiao did cut out basketball games while training for this fight.

For Bradley his training in the desert did not change with Diaz and his father supervising it all. He did leave the desert last week to come to Los Angeles to train. What is very difficult for Bradley to do - is to find someone who can duplicate the speed of Pacquiao in sparring. That is going to be the key to this fight early on, how Bradley adjusts to Pacquiao’s speed and if it is even faster than he thought or prepared himself to be.

What I worry about Pacquiao’s legendary training and based upon - the supposed cramps he suffered in his last fight against Marquez, is he overtraining and is he leaving his best in training. At no time in Pacquiao’s career is his conditioning going to be tested like it is going to be tested in this fight with Bradley.

Bradley is a naturally bigger man and will be stronger than ever at 147/ 66.67kg. Though he may lack punching power - Bradley has the physical strength to bully Pacquiao and make it a street brawl.

So training is where Pacquiao usually gets my vote as an advantage here. The Ariza absence and when is too much, too much, in lieu of the cramps in his last fight?

PHYSICAL STATURE

Pacquiao Bradley

Height 5-6 1/2 / 169 cm 5-6/168 cm

Reach 67”/170cm 69”/175 cm

Age 33 28

Stance Southpaw Orthodox

KO % 64.41 41.38

As you can see, physically Pacquiao and Bradley are very similar. But keep in mind that Bradley is the bigger man. Bradley has been having problems making 140 pounds or 63.50 kg. Before his last fight against Joel Casamayor, Bradley was weighing 145/65.77kg with 2 per cent body fat two days before the fight.

Pacquiao weighed 143/64.86kg in his last fight with Marquez. Bradley expects to weigh no more than 145/65.77kg. Pacquiao should come in at 143/64.86kg like he did against Marquez.

THE WAY I SEE THE FIGHT

This is one for the ages as you are taking a relative unknown in Timothy Bradley and you are putting him against arguably the biggest draw in boxing. Close to 95 million people that populate the Philippines will be hanging on to every punch their Congressman launches and takes. But Pacquiao is that rare human being who relishes pressure while never letting it enter his mind and cloud his performance.

Pacquiao’s speed is so amazing Antonio Margarito thought he was getting hit by three people, Manny, Moe and Jack. Speed is going to be the key very early in this fight. Will Bradley be ready for the speed of Pacquiao? Marquez was the third time around and I thought beat Pacquiao.

What made it easier for Marquez the third time around was the point that his trainer Nacho Berenstein was making to me during Marquez’s training. “Paqcquiao is a much more balanced fighter, more down the pipe and much better technically under Roach’s tutelage, but that will also be his demise” said Berenstein “Before his punches came at such odd angles and with such speed there was no way of seeing the punches coming.”

Bradley needs to do the same and he is younger than Marquez. From the opening bell I see Bradley going right after Pacquiao and turning it into a street fight. About Pacquiao Bradley said “He’s one of the best in the world and has been for a long time. But he’s human. He has two hands and two feet, just like me.”

The matchmaking formula for Pacquiao’s opponent has been to find opponents with names, some past their prime and others below their regular title weight. Not this time, Bradley will not struggle to make weight - he will be stronger than ever and is in his boxing prime.

To date I think Bradley’s finest performance came against Lamont Peterson. He overwhelmed Peterson taking Peterson’s best body shots in the first four rounds, knocking down Peterson with an overhand right in the third and then outworking him the rest of the fight. Yes Peterson was cut after a head butt but not until the 12th and final round. Both fighters were undefeated coming into the fight and both came in extremely confident they would get the win. But Bradley found the way to get it done and that was by outworking him.

Pacquiao is ripe for an upset and Bradley just might be the man. But I worry about his lack of punching power to deliver the big win by KO. With Pacquiao I have to ask if at 33 and with 59 professional fights, is he losing a step here and there? Marquez totally neutralized his speed and back hand. Bradley is quicker than Marquez though not as precise a puncher as Marquez.

At the end of the day, my prediction means nothing and I am not one for predictions. I love the sport of boxing and especially love weighing in all the factors that could lead to victories.

You can order the card for only £14.95 by calling 08712004444*, visiting www.primetimelive.co.uk or using the Virgin Media ‘On Demand’ menu. Customers on Sky must register the first time they use Primetime and once registered can purchase using the ‘box office’ menu.
Steve Bunce on Pacquiao vs Bradley: “This might be the most important fight of Manny’s career!”

WBO Welterweight Title

Where: All on Primetime: channel 480 Sky, Virgin Media ‘On Demand’ and online at www.primetimelive.co.uk

Pacquiao vs Bradley is rapidly approaching, as we get ready for fight night we sat down with Primetime Pundit, Steve Bunce to discuss the fight. Here’s what he had to say;

“This might be the most important fight of Manny Pacquiao’s career, the reason I say that many people thought that Marquez nicked that last fight, on a night when Manny was given a tight decision. What that did is shifted the power bases from Pacquiao to Mayweather for that mythical pound for pound title.”

“As the rounds progressed it shifted further away from Pacquiao and landed firmly in Mayweather’s camp. With the fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao still waiting to be made, Manny knows that to keep that fight the prospect of breaking all box office records alive he needs to beat Bradley and make a statement.”

“He’s done this before, remember. Going into the Ricky Hatton fight he pulled out the performance of performances to shock Mayweather and force him into a corner. Mayweather managed to squirm away that time but now again holds the position of the high moral ground. This is purely because he is saying he wants the fight placing the pressure is squarely on Pacquiao.”

“This is what makes it such an important fight. Pacquiao can’t just win; he can’t just knick this and claw out a decision. It can’t even be close – he needs to pull out a performance like he did that night against Ricky Hatton.”

“This is going to be hard against a guy as elusive and as good at surviving as Bradley. I think this has the makings of being a make or break fight and that’s before you even start looking at what this means for Bradley.”

“A few years ago we thought maybe Pacquiao was coming to the end of his peak but he kept on pulling out performances and moments in fights that make us re-evaluate things.”

“At times Freddie Roach has questioned his commitment, not his commitment in the gym but his commitment to fighting in general. Is this a guy with his eye now too much on the politics?”

“Pacquiao is not just a guy wanting to make up the numbers in politics, in the Filipino government he wants to be a guy who makes changes. He wants to be a guy who matters and makes the difference. It’s a hefty challenge he’s taken on there.”

“In the build up to the Marquez fight, as Freddie warned us, he’d taken his eye off the ball. I don’t think he’s a fight away from retirement but let’s not mince our words – he needs to perform this time. It won’t sit comfortably with Manny, Freddie Roach or anyone in the ‘Pacquiao’ business that Mayweather is now occupying this lofty moral position. And only in boxing could a guy starting a prison sentence occupy the high moral ground!”

“In my honest opinion Bradley is still in some ways under achieving in the fight game. Bradley, while he has been hard to negotiate with at times, is a seasoned fighter who has never turned away from a challenge.”

“Bradley won’t find himself short on the night; he won’t leave that ring with any regrets. I think he is the kind of fighter who could give this or any Pacquiao problems.”

You can order the card for only £14.95 by calling 08712004444*, visiting www.primetimelive.co.uk or Virgin Media customers can purchase using the ‘On Demand’ menu. Customers on Sky must register the first time they use Primetime and once registered can purchase using the ‘box office’ menu.
Amir Khan looking forward to ‘crazy’ Pacquiao-Bradley fight live Primetime

Boxing superstar Amir Khan shared his thoughts with Primetime ahead of Saturday night’s super-fight between Manny Pacquiao and Tim Bradley.
The former unified light-welterweight champion knows both fighters well, check out what he has to say about the eagerly anticipated clash.

Pacquiao vs. Bradley will be shown live on Primetime, Channel 480 on Sky and Virgin On Demand, this Saturday night for only £14.95. Visit www.primetimelive.co.uk or ring 0871 200 4444.

On Pacquiao-Bradley

“I’m always going to back my training partner Manny Pacquiao in this fight because he’s been in with better competition and reigned for such a long time. I think Manny will win the fight but don’t get me wrong it’s going to be a tough fight. I don’t think Manny will knock him out I feel it’s going to go the distance because Bradley is tough. There’s no doubt Bradley will come to fight, seeing him train on HBO 24/7 he seems focused and confident and he’ll go in there wanting to win.”

“Manny’s not performed at his best in his last few fights so that might be on Bradley’s side and he could use that to his advantage. No matter what, it’s going to be an electrifying fight and one of those tough and crazy fights that boxing fans want to see. I’m looking forward to it as we offered Bradley the fight twice and he turned it down so I’m hoping my teammate can beat him for me in a way.”

Toe-to-toe

“It will be a tough fight and a toe-to-toe scrap at times. Both guys can fight, and they like to fight, they throw a lot of shots and have great fitness. It will be a matchup that people love to see and fans will be on the edge of their seats, it will be an exciting fight no matter what because you have two guys that are in their prime and are hungry for the win. Manny won’t want to lose his pound-for-pound title and Bradley wants to move up and make a statement.

“I don’t think Bradley will be the same fighter at 147 as he was at 140. He thinks he’s a better fighter at 147 which I don’t thinks the case because he doesn’t have the power to knock Manny Pacquiao out or any other fighter at that weight. But he will cause a problem in the fight because he has a great engine, work rate and likes to keep coming forward.”

On Manny’s training

“Manny always trains hard, I was out in the Philippines with him when I was training for my rematch with Peterson. Manny is always dedicated when it comes to training and you can’t knock him for that because he’s always strong and tough and likes to push himself to the limit. He always spars hard and he’s looking in tremendous shape.”

“People can say what they like about his last few fights, and he hasn’t really performed well, but I think that’s down to how his opponents have been. When he fights top opposition he always boxes better but when he faces guys that people expect him to beat he doesn’t really put on the ‘A’ game that he has.”

On sparring Manny

“Manny is a tricky guy to beat. I’ve sparred with him and shared a ring with him, and he sometimes adapts quite late in a fight because the first few rounds he eases into it and sees what the opponent does and kind of breaks him down. Whereas Bradley is a bit wild and seeing him fight he goes in there with his head. Manny needs to watch his head because they are a similar size but Bradley’s game plan will be to put pressure on him, push him back and throw four or five shots at a time.”

“Speed is going to be crucial, Bradley knows Manny is fast so Bradley’s going to try and use his speed against him but I think Manny has way more ability and eventually his class will shine through. What Manny has to be wary of though is Bradley’s head and the looping shots that don’t come from far away.”

On Manny-Marquez

“You always have that one opponent that knows your style inside out. I think Marquez has that style to beat or look really good against Manny Pacquiao that’s why the last fight was so awkward.”

On fighting the winner

“I would love to fight Bradley at 147 if he somehow manages to come through. I don’t think he’s going to beat Manny, but it’s a fight that we put to him before when he was at light-welterweight and he turned it down twice. I wouldn’t face Manny because we are friends and share the same trainer and there are plenty of other big fights out there.”

On Danny Garcia and his dad

“I thought his dad acted very disrespectfully at the press conference. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and he has his opinion on me as a fighter which I’m going to prove wrong on July 14th when I beat Danny Garcia. But the way Garcia’s dad went on, even when the talking was done and we were wrapping up the press conference, was out of order. He showed no respect but I’m not going to let it affect me, it’s only going to motivate me, the only one it is going to affect is his son when I knock him out on fight night. It’s going to be a great fight and I’m hoping we can have a number of world titles on the line, we’re just waiting on the Lamont Peterson hearing which is taking place in a couple of weeks before we know what belts will be up for grabs.”

Pacquiao vs. Bradley will be shown live on Primetime, Channel 480 on Sky and Virgin On Demand, this Saturday night for only £14.95. Visit www.primetimelive.co.uk or ring 0871 200 4444.